Comprehension & Phonics Books | Primary Reading Resource


My students were literally begging me to give them more of these books! I am so excited to share them. This set includes CVCe words. CVC, digraphs, blends, and vowel teams are all coming soon!



This resource can be used in so many ways- homework, guided reading, independent reading...

Here is how I use this in my kindergarten classroom. 

On Monday, students review the sight word flash cards and phonics words. I usually split the differentiation into two groups, sometimes three or more depending on the time of year.


 They complete page 1 and 2 and read the passage one time, coloring in the first star.



On Tuesday, students re-read flash cards and phonics cards. Read the passage for the second time and color in another star. They then complete page 4 by listing all of the phonics “focus” words. Students highlight the phonics words in the passage.

On Wednesday, students re-read all flashcards again, re-read the passage for a third time, and complete page 5 by listing the “focus” sight words. Students highlight the sight words in the passage.



On Thursday, students re-read the passage and color in the 4th star. They then complete page 6 which focuses on the letters in the phonics words. 



On Friday, students re-read the passage for a 5th and FINAL time. Then complete 3 comprehension questions on the back. All three of these questions can be found in the text so I have my students go back and underline where they found their answer. 


It’s so amazing how much my students’ fluency has improved from using this resource for only two weeks! Click the video below to see the complete book in action! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 The Therapeutic Teacher , Blogger